“Could not find this item. This is no longer located in [Path]. Verify the item’s location and try again”
This error above will appear when you are trying to access a certain file either to delete, rename, or open it. Logically speaking, if you can locate and view a file on your computer, you should also have clear access to it. However, this strange error occurs and you are unable to do anything with that file.
Sometimes this occurs with files created by third-party services and it occurs because the file’s extension is not properly defined. There are other obscure causes as well. Follow the several methods in this article to either delete the file successfully since that is what users mostly want to do.
Solution 1: Use the Following Command to Delete the Problematic File
This is one of the commands which can be used to delete the problematic file or folder. Deleting it may be important if it is linked to software you uninstalled a while ago, especially if the file takes up a lot of space on the disk. Try this method but make sure you type in the correct path to the file instead of our placeholder.
- Go to CMD “Command Prompt”
- Copy and paste the command below and make sure you tap the Enter key on your keyboard afterwards. Also make sure to use the correct path to the file including its name. X is the placeholder letter as well, you should input the letter corresponding to the drive’s letter where the file is located.
rd /s \\?\D:\bad\folder\path
3. You should see the Operation completed successfully message. If you don’t check to see if you have input the file’s location correctly. If you have, try checking out other solutions
Solution 2: Workaround without Command Prompt
1. Right click on the folder.
2. Select “Add to archive” option (Make sure that you have WinRAR installed on your machine).
3. Tick ‘Delete files after archiving’ check box displayed under ‘Archiving options’ section.
4. Leave all other settings as they are and click ‘OK’ button.
5. .rar will be created on your machine, and your painful folder will be deleted automatically.
6. Now you may delete this *.rar file whenever needed.
7. That’s all